Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

East Trent Churches

Reflections

July 2019

Dear Friends,

At the time of writing, our nation is in an uncertain state. I don’t know what our relationship with the European Union will be like or who the Prime Minister will be when you read this.

I do know there was no shortage of candidates at the beginning of the contest for that particular job.

What do we want from a leader? Do we want someone who decides exactly what’s best for us and goes ahead with it regardless of what anyone else might think? Do we want someone who is good at delegation and shares responsibility? Do we want someone who listens to good council and takes time to come to decisions? Do we want someone who waits for broad agreement and will not make decisions without consensus? Whatever style of leadership our new Prime Minister has, it’s not going to be easy and it’s hard to see what success will look like.

The Bible is a book which says a lot about life; failure, success and leadership.

Moses had led the people of Israel through the desert on the way to a new life, free from slavery. He was a reluctant leader, it had been a tough job but someone had to do it. That journey was full of danger, privation, struggles and opposition and when the end came into sight, he knew he wasn’t even going to finish the journey. He knew he’d got to hand over the job to someone else.

He prayed to God: Let God, the God of the spirits of everyone living, set a man over this community to lead them, to show the way ahead and bring them back home so God’s community will not be like sheep without a shepherd.*

Well of course, we can have a woman or a man leading us now and we may or may not want someone who will treat us like sheep. After all, sheep don’t have any say in what happens to them. However, it will be good to have a leader who cares for all the people of this country and wants us to have good standing in the international community, leading the way in justice and righteousness. It will be good to have a leader who like a shepherd caring for their flock puts the welfare of their people first.

Whoever this is, let’s not forget to pray for them and whenever we can, live lives of good, caring leadership.

God bless you

Revd Mandy.

*If you want to read this for yourself, you can find it in the book of Numbers, chapter 27, verses 15-17. This quote is taken from the Message Bible by Eugene Peterson. I’ve got a copy if you want to borrow it.