Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

East Trent Churches

Reflections

January 2020

Dear Friends,

This January, as we begin a new year and decade, it feels a bit like stepping out into the unknown. A new government, a new relationship with Europe and the rest of the world as well as the unforeseen changes in our own lives will all make for an interesting 2020.

How should we set about living through the next twelve months?

Well, I’d like to start by looking back to December. In church, that was a month of reading about impossible dreams. The prophet Isaiah looked around and saw what was happening. He was honest about his world and he saw how everything could be made better. His dreams were dreams about the renewal of the earth with its plant and animal life. His dreams were dreams about peace breaking out in a divided kingdom. His dreams were about people being released from disease and poverty. They are beautiful visions and I encourage everyone to look out for signs of them coming true in any way and celebrate everything which is good and life giving.

So, in 2020, what are our dreams for our church and village life, for our earth, for peace and for health and healing? Let’s dare to dream some impossible dreams and let’s share our ideas with each other. Let’s enjoy this year together and let’s do all we can to help and support each other.

Is this daunting or exciting? I guess it’s a bit of both, so why not read this poem and use it as a prayer this month?

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
      ‘Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.’

And he replied, ‘Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God
      That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!’

This is taken from a poem written by Minnie Louise Haskins in 1908. King George VI shared this in his Christmas message of 1939 at the beginning of World War 2.

On Saturday January 4th, everyone is invited to Open House at the Vicarage. Celebrate New Year, Epiphany and my birthday, which all sort of collide! Please come along, any time from 3pm and enjoy some food and drink and good company.

If you wish to make a gift, please bring donations for Newark Women’s Aid. That will go towards making some dreams come true.

Do have a very happy new year.

God bless you

Revd Mandy.