Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

East Trent Churches

Reflections

May 2019

Dear Friends

For this beautiful month of May, I’ve been thinking about one of my favourite Easter hymns. It is Now the Green Blade Rises, written by John Macleod Cambell Crum and I want to share some thoughts with you.

Now the green blade rises from the buried grain,
Wheat that in the dark earth many years has lain;
Love lives again, that with the dead has been:
Love is come again, like wheat that springs up green.

In this month of May, we have so much to give thanks for, warmer sunshine, longer days and spring festivities. Let’s enjoy this special season and pause to give thanks to God for all the beauty and new life around us.

In the grave they laid Him, Love Whom we had slain,
Thinking that He’d never wake to life again,
Laid in the earth like grain that sleeps unseen:

In this season of Easter, we have a good long time to concentrate on Jesus and his resurrection. By doing this, we follow the story of the first disciples who took a long time to realise that he was really alive. This month, why not take time to read about all the ways that the risen Jesus appeared to his disciples. If you’re not sure where to find those accounts in the Bible, just ask me.

Up He sprang at Easter, like the risen grain,
He that for three days in the grave had lain;
Up from the dead my risen Lord is seen:

In this springtime, it maybe feels like we’ve waited a long time for rest and refreshment. Perhaps we’ve sometimes felt that love has grown cold or lost forever. Let’s thank God that love can never die – that’s what the resurrection is about.

When our hearts are saddened, grieving or in pain,
By Your touch You call us back to life again;
Fields of our hearts that dead and bare have been:

In the last few months, we have suffered sadness, death and tragic loss which have affected all of our communities. Our hearts have indeed been saddened, grieving and in pain. May this time bring us help and healing, renewed hope and joy. As the risen Jesus calls us back to life, may we recognise him and respond with gladness.

God bless you all
Revd Mandy.